Institute of Coastal Research
Area of research:
Scientific / postdoctoral posts
code no. 2018/KS 2
The place of employment is Geesthacht.
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. You can find more information at www.hzg.de .
The Institute of Coastal Research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the broad field of coastal research. Our research focus lies on numerical modelling of coastal processes with specific expertise in modelling of atmospheric and marine biogeochemistry and interactions between different environmental compartments on regional and coastal scales. At Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht we develop numerical models with the aim to determine the past and current state of the environment and to identify the major drivers for future changes in the system. The working group for Matter Transport and Ecosystem Dynamics at the Department of System Analysis and Modelling invites applications for a postdoc (m/f) position. The position is limited to 36 months.
The objective of the position is to investigate the influence of changing environmental and climate conditions on regional arctic ecosystems and carbon chemistry. For this purpose hindcast and forecast simulations with the existing 3 dimensional ecosystem model (HYCOM-ECOSMO) shall be performed and analysed, thereby emphasizing the role of multidecadal cycles and applicability of decadal predictions. The model should further be enhanced and used to understand the role of higher trophic levels in the ecosystem. The work will partly be associated to the EU H2020 project SponGES, which has the overarching goal to develop an integrated ecosystem-based approach to preserve and sustainably use deep-sea sponge ecosystems of the North Atlantic.
- further development and validation of a 3d ecosystem in regional arctic ecosystems
- performance and analysis of hindcast model simulations
- performance and analysis of decadal predictions using decadal climate predictions from (NorCPM) Norwegian Climate Prediction Model
- work as an integrative part of a motivated multidisciplinary team within the institute and external academic partners
- write scientific publications in peer reviewed journals
- presentation of results at meetings and international conferences
- PhD in oceanography, geosciences, marine biology, environmental sciences or related disciplines
- thorough knowledge on marine ecosystem functioning
- expert knowledge in marine ecosystem modelling
- experience with analysing multivariate datasets
- knowledge in scientific programming with FORTRAN and related analysing programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, R, Python)
- very good knowledge of English (written and oral)
- good communication skills and ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of various fields of geosciences
- multinational work environment with over 900 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- remuneration according to the standards of the collective wage agreement TV-AVH including further social benefits
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is an equal opportunity employer and particularly strives to increase the percentage of women in the science sector. Severely disabled persons with equal qualifications will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
Please send your application indicating job offer code no. 2018/KS 2 including a short letter of motivation, CV together with a list of publications and copies of relevant certificates preferably by e-mail in one file not larger than 10 MB to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is February 28th, 2018.
As Intern Marketing (TV & Media) you will work closely with our Media & Market Development team to support them in their everyday tasks. You will be able to work on our Video & TV campaigns as...
Student Aid (m/f/d) for Training/Learning Activities - limited for 12 months - ( Job Number: 18000A04) As part of the multinational Caterpillar organisation, the world’s largest producer of...
As a Market Research Analyst you are responsible for collecting, evaluating and aggregating important data for all of our games. Statistical methods are your passion and you would like to be part...
Show navigation Hide navigation Home Careers My Profile Your user session will timeout in 5 minutes. Please click OK to continue with your application. Junior Consultant Client Services (w/m) Job...
Job Description : DuPont has a long history of scientific research and development that has made countless innovations possible. Today, we are looking for people in the most diverse places in the...
As a Team Lead Marketing Art you are responsible for our highly motivated Marketing and Corporate Design team. Inspiring the team, supporting creative ideas and getting the best art design out of...
As Intern Marketing (TV & Media) you will work closely with our Media & Market Development team...
Student Aid (m/f/d) for Training/Learning Activities - limited for 12 months - ( Job...
As a Market Research Analyst you are responsible for collecting, evaluating and aggregating...
Show navigation Hide navigation Home Careers My Profile Your user session will timeout in 5...
Job Description : DuPont has a long history of scientific research and development that has made...
As a Team Lead Marketing Art you are responsible for our highly motivated Marketing and...