The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1280 employees, the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the "System Earth" and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany's largest science organization.
We are looking for a new colleague to complement our microbiological and microbe-mineral-interface team in the "Interface-Geochemistry" group led by Liane G. Benning.
Research Associate (PostDoc) (m/f) in Cryo-Microbiology
Job Vacancy No. 0610
The holder of this position will primarily address microbiological / biochemical processes in cold settings via experimental approaches but also with the possibility of field work in Polar environments.
• conduct original research on microbial processes that control carbon / nutrient cycling in cold terrestrial environments with focus on microbial processes
• characterize and quantify laboratory (and some field) based cryophile algae-mineral-fluid interface reactions with special applications to stress adaptation of biomolecules in snow and ice microbes
• design and perform stress and adaptation / response experiments with cryophile algae
• assess genomic and biochemical changes using 'omics', imaging and / or spectroscopic approaches
• publish in international peer-reviewed journals; present research results at scientific meetings
• lead and/or considerably contribute to writing proposals for third party funding opportunities
• help co-supervise Master and PhD students
Your qualifications: (essential in bold, all other are desirable)
• MSc and PhD in geobiology, molecular microbiology, biogeochemistry, geoecology or equivalent
• specialized knowledge in next-generation sequencing and bioinformatics
• experience in experimental manipulations and complex biological and biochemical process analyses (e.g., omics, biological microscopy/ or micro-spectroscopy)
• polar field work is a part of the project, so willingness / experience in outdoor activities is a bonus
• experience in working at the interface between microbiology and geochemistry
• capacity for interdisciplinary and international teamwork and excellent communication skills
• documentable excellent publication and 3rd party funding records
• proficiency in spoken and written English, German is an asset
Starting date: 15th May 2018
Fixed term: 3 years (with possibility for extension)
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week). The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be into pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
You might also be interested in our vacancy for a Research Associate (PostDoc) (m/f) in Geo-Bio-Interfaces (see job vacancy no 0622).
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net ), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam and Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.
Please submit your application (containing a maximum 2-page research
statement, a CV, your publication list and names of 3 independent referees) by 20th April 2018.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
Level of Education Others Areas of study Food and beverage Professional experiences 1 to 2 years Languages essential German English ##### Die Stelle ist sowohl als Vollzeit- oder auch als...
Enfore AG was founded in 2009 as NumberFour AG by Marco Boerries to re-imagine how small businesses utilize technology. We have built an open business platform to develop solutions that help 200+...
Job Description The role is accountable for high throughput genotyping solutions in pharma applications. It is a growing business where Thermo Fisher Scientific offers a wide range of solutions...
Level of Education Others Areas of study Cooking Professional experiences 1 to 2 years Languages essential German Sie verfügen über eine qualifizierte Berufsausbildung als Koch / Köchin und...
Level of Education Vocational education Areas of study Hospitality Professional experiences 11 to 20 years Languages essential German English Zu Ihren Aufgaben gehören: •Mitarbeit und Beitrag für...
Level of Education Vocational education Areas of study Hospitality Professional experiences 1 to 2 years Languages essential German English Optional languages French (Intermediate) + Umsetzung der...
Level of Education Others Areas of study Food and beverage Professional experiences 1 to 2...
Enfore AG was founded in 2009 as NumberFour AG by Marco Boerries to re-imagine how small...
Job Description The role is accountable for high throughput genotyping solutions in pharma...
Level of Education Others Areas of study Cooking Professional experiences 1 to 2 years Languages...
Level of Education Vocational education Areas of study Hospitality Professional experiences 11...
Level of Education Vocational education Areas of study Hospitality Professional experiences 1 to...